Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker Tribute Weekend
Time & Location
About The Event
With the untimely passing of Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker, a tribute to honor his patriotism and incredible sports talent is planned for April 2020.
This “once-in-a-lifetime” event will be held at the same arena he ruled during many of the early years of his stellar career.
Planned are three-days of activities including a special tribute to Pernell and a world class boxing exhibition.
• April 16th (Thursday) – The “Sweet Pea” Tribute Gala. Prior opponents, family and friends will honor the boxing legend at the Waterside Harbor Club
• April 16th (Thursday) – VIP After-Party on-board the "Spirit of Norfolf" Yacht docked and awaiting arrivals at the Waterside District
• April 17th (Friday) – Boxer "Weigh-In" Media Bash and VIP Reception w/ Autograph Signing at Waterside
• April 18th (Saturday) – "Ring of Gold" Boxing Show featuring a World Championship "Title" Bout with two  additional State Title Fights with a Memorial Belt in "Sweet Pea's" honor presented to the winners at the Scope Arena
• April 18th (Saturday) – Fight After Party at the Waterside
Invited guests and potential attendees: "1984" US Olympic Boxing Team Members Paul Gonzales, Meldrick Taylor, Jerry Page, Mark Breland, Frank Tate, Virgil Hill, Evander Holyfield, Tyrell Biggs and Henry Tillman.
Additional Invited Professional Boxers include: Oscar de la Hoya, George Foreman, Manny Pacquiao, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roger Mayweatherand Felix Trinidad to mention a few...
Proceeds generated from this event will benefit the City of Norfolk Boxing Center at Harbor Park which will be officially renamed the Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker Boxing Center and other local charities. Focused on youth, teen and adult programming, the center will offer an unparalleled training staff in which to work with local fighters, military personnel, first responders, and other workout warriors.